Saturday, February 5, 2011

Engine 2 Diet

I recently purchased the Engine 2 Diet book after finding it used on Amazon.  I was sick with a nasty cold yesterday and spend most of the day in bed reading this little gem cover to cover.  The author, Rip Esselstyn, is  the picture of perfect health.  He follows a 100% low fat vegan diet, competes in triathlons, is a firefighter in Austin, and is pretty easy on the eyes to boot (hee-hee).  The book has some great stories about Rip helped many of his not-so-fit firefighter friends start following his healthy diet.  They were amazed when their cholesterol plummeted along with their weight after just a short time.  It is pretty inspirational AND the recipes look awesome: sweet potato-vegetable lasagna, an alfredo sauce made with tofu, cashews, and soymilk, kale "butter" made with walnuts, and lemon cornmeal pancakes just to name a few.  There is a super simple salad dressing recipe that is only balsamic vinegar, mustard (I'd use dijon), agave nectar and water.  I will be experimenting with several of these recipes and will be sure to report results asap.         

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to read this--I ordered it off of Amazon today and I'm totally pumped! I was also "LOL'ing" about your "turnips are not barf" comment. My sides!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray Lizzie! So happy that you are reading my blog. You might be the only one. I was starting to feel like the kid from Wet Hot American Summer who thinks that everyone is listening to him over the Camp Firewood airwaves but actually the cord is cut so he has only been entertaining himself (and wallowing in his own filth) for months. Ha ha! I think you'll like Engine 2 a lot. The workout is quick but packs a punch. Next day was REAL ouchy for me. P.S. Yay turnips!

    ReplyDelete